Wednesday 29 December 2010

Fifties Atomic

Onto the second of my evening projects! This one has been on my 'to-do' for some time.

Lately I've been finding myself more and more drawn to 1950s design, I've always been a big fan of 60s style but the more I look at decor and fashion from the 50s the more I fall in love with it. I love how clean and modern it looks, the prints and patterns look amazingly abstract and modern, but still with such a 'retro' charm, which somehow seems fresher and less cliched than the typical 60s look.


In particular I've been enjoying looking at the 'scientific' inpired prints that were so popular at the time, particularly Lucienne Day's designs which look almost as though they could be chemistry diagrams or botanical drawings. Her designs were used for wallpaper and fabric prints in popular shops such as Heals, and I love seeing how similar prints were incorporated into the home for what still seems a very fresh look.


With in mind I wanted to bring a little of the midcentury modern look into my flat, and as we needed a small table lamp to brighten up a dim corner of the flat it seemed a perfect oportunity for experimentation.

Cue one rather boring cream table lamp from Wilkinsons:



A fat quarter of Robert Kaufman print fabric found for £3 on ebay, sewed into a simple 'skirt' shaped slip cover:



Et Voila! One 1950s atomic inspired table lamp!



I'm delighted with how it turned out. It looks particularly lovely with the light shining through the fabric but it was hard to take a picture with it on that showed the fabric properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment