Friday 6 August 2010

Hey wait a minute Mr Postman

Today was a three parcel day, yes yes, I have been ebay shopping! I think one of the nicest things about ebay is getting parcels, and they're not just any old mail-order type parcels, it really is like getting proper packages as they have been handwrapped in different ways by different people, which is MUCH nicer.

One was my birthday present to myself, a vintage 50s duvet cover from Etsy which I bought back in March and has been around the world twice since then, but finally it arrived on my doorstep! Sadly it turned out to be a rather expensive purchase as first it was lost in the post for several months, leaving me thinking I would never be able to see it, but then it turned up back in the USA again! So, a second lot of postage charges (plus extra for priority service so as not to take any risks!) and a customs and handling charge later, and here it is, on my bed, and I can truly say that it was worth the wait and the expense, for it is beautiful! And a perfect excuse for Clean Sheets On The Bed which is one of my most favourites of life's small pleasures.


Also this week I've received 2 lovely vintage sewing patterns for blouses, photos to follow soon, I'm rather excited as I've got dresses pretty much down to a t now but blouses are a whole new adventure! So today has been pretty good, parcels and then a lovely evening involving hairstyle experimentation, card games and packing for a weekend away...

I had a practice run doing a beehive, which is how I plan to have my hair for my belated birthday party - the theme is the party scene in Breakfast at Tiffany's, not rigidly so, that was just the best way I could think of summing up the sort of party I want it to be - sort of a Summer night, apartment block, 60s cocktail party, all listening to jazz lps and swooshing around in vintage cocktail dresses drinking martinis. The perfect excuse for a beehive! I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out for a first attempt - I used Strawberry Koi's video tutorial, which was so brilliantly easy to follow. I didn't go for mega height - it's only got one kneesock (yes, kneesock) in there for volume, but I like it very much!


Wearing my hair like this gave me a strong urge to sashay around my bedroom listening to 60s girl groups, so I had a pretty perfect evening listening to the Shirelles, making up the bed with new bedding, and packing for our little weekend trip to Cardiff to see Calvin Johnson.


We are going tomorrow evening so we can spend Saturday going to the the bootsale and Jacob's antique market, we tried to go last time we were there but it was shut, so I could only gaze longingly up at the windows which looked absolutely crammed with treasures... I'm so excited! Also on a very tight budget so I will have to behave myself and not get too carried away, but I hope I end up with at least one small find.

Sleep time now as it is past my bedtime, but there will be a sewing post coming up soon, I've got a whole load of projects on the go and am desperate to get started with blouses...

No comments:

Post a Comment